The Gospel Truth (Vlog): Atonement Pt. 1
- The Gospel Truth: Man is Sinful (Vlog Series)
- Gospel Truth: The Wrath of God Toward Sin (Vlog Series)
- The Gospel Truth (Vlog): The Wages of Sin
- The Gospel Truth (Vlog): Atonement Pt. 1
- The Gospel Truth: Atonement in the Old Testament Pt. 2
- The Gospel Truth Pt. 6 (vlog) – Jesus: the Fulfillment of the Law
- The Gospel Truth: Christ Crucified (Vlog)
- The Gospel Truth: Pt. 8 – Grace
- The Gospel Truth: Pt. 9 – Faith
- The Gospel Truth: Pt. 11 – Lordship, the Product of Repentance
- The Gospel Truth 12: The Process of Salvation
- The Gospel Truth Conclusion: Theories of Atonement
(This is a continuation of The Gospel Truth video blog series. This post assumes the prerequisite watching of earlier videos in the series. Click the link above to watch the entire series up to this week’s installment.)
Understanding fully that man is sinful, God is just, and that God’s righteous penalty for sin is death leads one to the logical next question: is there any hope for me?
There is a quick answer. “Yes, there is hope provided in the person of Jesus Christ.” He did what was necessary to secure atonement for man’s sins by accepting God’s wrath upon himself. But, to truly understand the depths of the work Christ performed on the cross one needs to venture back through redemptive history and examine God’s “promissory note” which was provided in the Law of Moses.
Today’s installment introduces the sacrificial system of the Old Testament. Day after day, night after night, the sins of Israel were on public display through a bloody and endless assembly of sacrificial animals. These bloody sacrificial acts provided temporary vicarious recipients for God’s wrath to be expiated upon until the promised Christ came to fulfill these legal requirements in permanence.