Intrepreting The Bible Pt. 3 – Historical/Cultural Principle
- Interpreting the Bible Vlog Course Begins Today
- Intrepreting The Bible Pt. 2 – Linguistic Principle
- Intrepreting The Bible Pt. 3 – Historical/Cultural Principle
- Interpreting the Bible Pt. 4 – the Contextual Principle
- Bible Interpretation Pt. 05 – Contextual/Theological Principles
- Interpreting the Bible Pt. 6 – Resources
- Interpreting the Bible – Part 7 – The Golden Rule of Interpretation
- Interpreting the Bible – Part 8 – Applying The Golden Rule of Interpretation
- Interpreting the Bible – Parts 9–10
- Interpreting the Bible (Pt 11) – Double Reference (Pt. 2)
- Interpreting the Bible 12 – Progressive Revelation
- Interpreting The Bible 13 – The Law of First Mention
- Interpreting the Bible 14 – The Law of Recurrence
- Interpreting the Bible 15 – Hebrew Poetry
Part three of the Interpreting The Bible series involves an overview of the Historical or Cultural principle. Essentially, this principle of interpretation states that one must understand the times and circumstances of a writing in order to fully appreciate and properly interpret the text. This understanding involves the author, the readers, the culture and even other cultures referenced in a work.
Paul’s note in Philippians about having learned to be content has much more meaning, for example, if one knows a bit about Paul’s life of trials and difficult circumstances. James’ admonition to the Jewish believers of the dispersion to “consider it pure joy when you face trials of many kinds” certainly has a more potent meaning to us today by realizing the dire persecution that those believers endured at the time of James’ writing. And, Jesus’ parable about virgins who forgot their oil and were shut out of the wedding banquet makes much more sense to one who has studied the nature of the Jewish wedding celebration.
Such is the nature of the application of the Historical/Cultural principle in Bible interpretation, as will be observed in this week’s video.
Watch earlier installments of this series here.